Staff at Cottage Walk are praising an innovative anti-choking device which was used to save the life of a person we support, Donna, who turned blue and unresponsive after choking on her lunch.
Our team rushed to support Donna by initially trying back slaps and abdominal thrusts which failed to revive her. When this didn’t work, staff reached for a new device which was luckily recently delivered to the service and training had been carried out.
To the relief of staff, the device worked with great effect and Donna soon came round. Paramedics believe that if the anti-choking device had not been used, Donna likely would not have survived. Tracey, the service manager, and Donna, would like to thank our team at Cottage Walk for their quick thinking and remaining calm.
Donna told us: “I’m lucky to be alive”.
We would like to urge all homes that have an anti-choking device to keep this item accessible at all times in the event of an emergency.